The CDS exam is conducted by UPSC twice in a year. Every year a large number of applicants write this exam and the number is increasing year after year, so is the competition. So you need to work strategically and prepare smartly to get an edge over others. Here are the proven tips for the written exam.
- Know the exam well: Understand the syllabus and the exam pattern. The exam is offline/pen and paper mode. To get into Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, and Air Force Academy, you’ll have to write English, General Knowledge and Elementary Mathematics sections, where each section has 120 questions and carries 100 marks. For Officers’ Training Academy, you just have to write English and GK. There is negative marking and every wrong answer cuts 1/3rd For English and GK, correct answer carries 0.83 marks. In Mathematics you’ll get one mark for every correct answer. Each section has to be written in two hours. Check eAbhyasa site for exam updates, syllabus, pattern, important dates and all other details.
- Study smartly: Your preparation depends on how you plan your study. Start early preparation. Make a timetable based on the available time and your strong and weak areas. Set a routine and do a thorough study of the syllabus. Cover all topics. Ensure that the concepts are clear. Be focused and allot time for revision. Make handy notes, write formulae and refer to them frequently.
- Use a different strategy to prepare for each section: GK is not a subject that can be studied overnight. So read newspapers, watch news, debates and discussions on TV. Know things from a range of topics such as politics, sports, Government policies, science and technology news etc. Prepare for questions from the Constitution, History, Economy, Geography, Politics, Navy & Military and the latest current affairs. In English, focus on grammar, vocabulary, antonyms and synonyms. Take English online tests. Make a list of new words daily and try to use them in sentences. In Mathematics focus on Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry etc. Remember the important formulae.
- Solve previous question papers: Many successful candidates have solved previous papers for their preparation. Try to solve 10-15 previous question papers and know your weak areas. Focus on your strong areas to score well. At least in one paper try to score above the sectional cut-off in the other two.
- Use online preparation tools: Use online preparation tools like eAbhyasa. Your preparation will be rock solid. You will know the types of questions that appear in the CDS exam. You’ll also be able to manage your time well. Instead of you struggling to figure out your strong and weak areas, eAbhyasa instantly gives feedback on them, to improve your preparation. Online tests give you the real feel of exam and it becomes easy for you to face the exam on the actual day.
Apart from the above, remember that a CDS candidate has to be physically fit. So focus on balanced diet and do physical exercises to get ideal weight and gain physical stamina. Click https://www.eabhyasa.com/exams/upsc-exams/cds for UPSC CDS exam test series. All the best!