The SSC CGL Tier 3 exam is a written descriptive exam that tests you on how you express your ideas and opinions on a given topic. It is a pen and paper based offline exam for 100 marks and the duration is one hour. You’ll have to write essay (250- 300 words)/ precise writing/ letter writing.
Here are the top 5 tips given by experts that help you to score 75+ in SSC CGL Tier 3 exam.
- Read a lot: A good reading habit will have a positive effect on your writing skills. Read newspapers such as The Hindu, The Indian Express, Economic Times, etc. and the editorials. Read good books to prepare for the essay topics. Read on social issues such as unemployment, poverty, education, dowry system etc., finance and economics topics such as GST, GDP, Demonetization, RBI Bimonthly Policy etc., world politics like North Korea sanctions, Syrian Refugee crisis, South China Sea etc., environment issues such as Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, science and technology topics like Mangalyaan, Government schemes like Jan Dhan Yojana, Give up LPG Gas Subsidy Scheme etc. Also, be prepared for the hot topics of the day. Cover major points only with accurate data.
- Practice writing: Practice writing essays neatly and see that your hand writing is legible. Do not overwrite and do not make any grammatical errors. Strictly keep within word limit. Do not go for long sentences and keep track of the central idea for every sentence. Be careful about punctuation.
- Check writing formats: In formal letter writing, content carries 50% weightage, format 16-20%, expression 35%. Pay particular attention to spacing and subject. Your essay should have 3 parts: Introduction, Body and Conclusion. The first paragraph introduces the topic. The body can be written in two paragraphs: one for pros and the other for cons. Then for the concluding paragraph, do not make a biased conclusion. Let the reader know your opinion clearly. Be balanced and don’t write one sided essay. In Précis writing, first read the passage carefully and give the heading appropriately. Keep the size of the precise lesser than the given passage, may be around 1/3rd of the original. Write it in your own words covering important points and leaving the unnecessary content.
- Manage time wisely: You have just 60 minutes to write 2-3 questions. Hence, fix up time limit for each question. For précis writing, allot around 15 minutes, for letter writing 15 minutes and 30 minutes for essay writing. After completing the paper, read it again for any corrections.
- Be confident: Tier 3 exam is all about expressing your thoughts and opinions in writing. Hence develop your thinking by reading more and practicing more writing. Practice writing without getting anxious to be right. You will learn the skills with practice. Give your best.
eAbhyasa – Only market place for online tests!!
All the best!