If you are aspiring to join Public Sector and taking the IBPS Clerk exam, then you have to start your preparation early to be successful. Here are some effective tips that will help you to clear the exam in first attempt itself.
- Know the syllabus, exam pattern and the cut-off: First update yourself on the exam pattern and the complete syllabus for both the prelims and mains. Know about the topics in detail to start preparation accordingly. Mains exam has Reasoning, English Language, Quantitative Aptitude, General / Financial Awareness and Computer Knowledge sections. There is a time limit for each section. The overall exam duration is 160 minutes. Check eAbhyasa site for more details on exam pattern and syllabus. Know about the previous year cut-off. As there is no interview for clerk posts in nationalized banks, candidates scoring above the cut-off will be directly considered for appointment. Always focus on the syllabus of the Exam.
- Read standard books and good study material: Read good books for Aptitude, Reasoning, and English, and also for General Awareness and Computer. Start preparing for the mains right after the Prelims. Check eAbhyasa blog for the list of good reference books for the preparation.
- Apply different strategies for different sections: Each section carries different marks and is given different time slot. So strategic preparation becomes important here to cut through competition. For English, take a number of practice tests. It will help you to understand where you might have gone wrong in Grammar. It will help you to get acquainted with new words and you will be able to guess better the meaning of a word in the given context. For Quants, revise the shortcuts and tricks. Go through various books and prepare your own notes. Take test series to check your speed and accuracy. Prepare a cheat-sheet of all the shortcuts and formulas. Take feedback and improvise on your weak areas. For Reasoning, speed and accuracy matters a lot, so go for a number of practice tests. To prepare for Computer knowledge section, go through previous year questions to know what questions will be asked in the exam. Most of them get repeated. You can easily score full marks in this section. Read Daily, Weekly and Monthly Edition of Current Affairs and Financial news to increase your General Awareness.
- Take practice tests and mock tests: Time management and accuracy are two key things you need to keep in mind while preparing for the exam. Take a number of practice tests of eAbhyasa for each section that will give you ample practice and help you to increase your speed and accuracy. Mock Test Series help you to know your strengths and weaknesses so that you can improvise. They are also helpful to know where you stand in the competition. Go for 12-15 Test series to make you very well prepared for the exam. Keep track of your progress. If improvement is not seen work harder. Revise more and practice more.
- Manage time effectively: Calculate the actual time you have on hands. You have 190 questions worth 200 marks. You also have sectional time limits. In Reasoning, some questions will be trickier and more time consuming. So solve the easy and scoring questions first. Attempt Coding decoding, Arrangements and Patterns, Coded Inequalities, Blood Relations, Ordering and Raking, Direction and Distances first and do the puzzles in the end. Try to attempt correctly at least 15-20 questions in 20 minutes. For Quants attempt DI, Simplification, Quadratic Equations etc. first. Do not spend more than 35-40 seconds on Number series. Wherever possible, do mental calculations. In English, do the Reading Comprehension first. Then go for para jumbles, cloze test, fill in the blanks etc. Do not waste much time on any one section.
Remember, accuracy & time management is the key to get success in this exam. So gear up, and prepare well. Check https://www.eabhyasa.com/exams/bank-exams/clerk for the tests.
All the best!