You are aspiring to become a Charted Accountant and have started preparing for the Common Proficiency Test (CA CPT). It is difficult for many aspirants to clear this exam in the first attempt, but not for you.
If you look at the requirements to clear CA CPT, you need score at least 30% in each of the subjects and 50% aggregate in all subjects. To get this score, you need to know not only the theory of the subject, but also its application. You should also know reading and time management techniques. Here are the top tips suggested by experts.
- Study material: Study from the official study material provided by ICAI and other reference books given in eAbhyasa Do not ignore any section as you have to score at least the minimum passing marks in each section. Refer your 11th and 12th class textbooks too. Stick to the syllabus so that you don’t end up spending time on topics that are not relevant to the exam.
- Focus on scoring subjects: Accounts and Mercantile Law are considered to be the most scoring subjects. Commerce background students have to solve as many problems as possible in all chapters of Accounting. Non-commerce students have to spend more time to study theory and understand the fundamentals of accounting. For Mercantile Law be thorough with the laws, definitions, applicability and focus on Contract Act. Next in Economics, Macro Economics is also very scoring. Understand the concepts on National Economics and the Government policies that affect the economics of a country. First complete Macro Economics before going for Micro Economics. In Mathematics, revise the chapters of 8th, 9th and 10th Cover differentiation and integration, and in Statistics, have good practice in correlation, regression and theoretical distribution.
- Read and revise: There is no substitute for hard work. Make your own time table giving more time to your weak topics. For reading, give a quick reading of the chapter within 4-5 minutes. Then for a clear understanding of the concepts read slowly. It is believed that we remember only 20-30% of what we read after 24 hours. So give quick revisions multiple times to remember well.
- Practice, practice and do more practice: Practice is the key to success in CPT. After you complete the revision, take a ‘Subject test’ from eAbhyasa. Take feedback to know your weak areas, so that you can focus on them. Then practice as many ‘Real tests’ as possible from eAbhyasa. Use the feedback to improve your performance. Take up ‘Practice tests’ and improvise.
- Strategize answering the paper: For CPT exam, the rank obtained does not really matter. You need not attempt all the 200 questions. Rather, remember to score a minimum of 30% in each subject. Do not ignore any section as you have to score 50% aggregate. First attempt the scoring sections and those questions whose answers you are sure of. For any wrong answer, ¼th mark is cut and a cumulative of wrong answers will lessen your score. So recheck your answers after attempting all questions.
Proper planning and practice help you to crack CPT in the first attempt itself. Use eAbhyasa tools to ease up your preparation and build confidence. All the best!
Practice Mock Test: CA-CPT (Common Proficiency Test) Mock Test