The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) is a Government organisation that conducts a number of exams for different posts in various Ministries, Departments, and Subordinate Offices. Many aspirants prepare for SSC CGL (Tier 1,2,3), SSC CHSL (Tier 1) and SSC JE exams. To know more about the exam pattern, syllabus and important dates check eAbhyasa site.
For the preparation of these exams, one has to be careful in selecting the right books for the right kind of preparation. Let’s look at the leading books for these exams. You can get them online from Amazon or Flipkart, where you’ll also get more information on these books. Get the latest edition while purchasing.
SSC CGL (Tier 1,2,3)
SSC CGL is one of the most sought after exams among the fresh graduates in our country. Candidates are selected based on their performance in Tier 1, 2, 3 and 4 exams.
SSC CGL Tier 1 and Tier 2 are online tests consisting of multiple choice questions and are compulsory for all the categories of posts. Tier 1 has 1) General Intelligence & Reasoning, 2) English Comprehension, 3) Quantitative Aptitude and 4) General Awareness sections. Tier 2 has 1) Quantitative Aptitude, 2) English Language and Comprehension, 3) Mathematics/ Statistics/ Economics/ Commerce. Tier 3 is conducted in pen and pencil descriptive mode. It consists of writing of an Essay / Passage of 250 words and Letter / Application Writing of approximately 150 words. Tier 4 is the computer proficiency test / data entry skill test / document verification.
A candidate has to qualify in all 3 tier examinations. Merit list from all levels is considered for the selection of candidates. The leading books for Tier 1, 2 , 3 are given below.
- Ultimate Guide to SSC Combined Graduate Level – CGL (Tier I & Tier II) Exam by Disha Experts
- Study Notes Materials On SSC CGL Entrance Exam With 10000+ Solved Problems + Model Solved Papers , Suggestion Papers (SPIRAL, SOURAV SIR’S CLASSES)
- Kiran’s SSC CGL Combined Graduate Level Exams Question Bank 1999–2016 (47 Solved Papers Of Previous Year Exams)— KIRAN PRAKASHAN
- Wiley’s SSC – CGL Exam Goalpost Comprehensive Guide, Tier – 2 & 3 by DT Editorial Services
- Chapter-wise Solved Papers SSC Staff Selection Commission Mathematics by Ojas Maheshwari and Diwakar Sharma
- Advanced Maths for General Competitions by Rakesh Yadav Publications
- Kiran’s SSC CGL Tier – II Online Exam Quantitative Abilities (with CD) by Kiran Prakashan and Pratiyogita Kiran
- SSC Combined Graduate Level Mains Exam Tier-II by Arihant Experts
- General knowledge by Lucent Publication
- Manorama Year book 2018
- A new approach to reasoning verbal and non-verbal by Arihant Publications
- SSC General Awareness – Chapter Wise Solved Papers 1997-till date by Kiran Publications
- SSC English Language Chapter Wise Solved Papers 1997-till date by Kiran Publications
- A Mirror of Common Errors by AK Singh
- Contemporary Essay Tata McGraw Hills Publications
- A hand book for letter writing by Arihant Publications
- Kiran SSC CGL Tier-III Descriptive Exam Communication & Writing Skill Practice Workbook 63 Sets
SSC CHSL (Tier 1)
SSC Combined Higher Secondary Level (CHSL) Examination has 1) General Intelligence & Reasoning, 2) General Awareness, 3) Quantitative Aptitude and 4) English Language sections. The leading reference books are:
- SSC CHSL TIER-1 2017 SOLVED PAPERS 27 SETS by KIRAN PRAKASHAN
- General Knowledge 2018 by Arihant Publication by Manohar Pandey
- Kiran’s SSC Reasoning Chapterwise & Typewise Solved Papers 8700+ Objective
- SSC 37 Test Paper Maths Tier 1 English Paperback, NEETU SINGH
- SSC CHSL (Combined Higher Secondary) 10+2 Level Tier -I 2018 Guide by GKP
- SSC CHSL (10+2) Tier-1 Online Exam 2017 LDC/DEO/PSA Paperback, Arihant Expert Team
SSC JE is an exam to recruit eligible candidates for the post of Junior Engineers Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Posts. The exam has two papers. Paper 1 is a computer based test and has three sections: 1) General Intelligence and Reasoning, 2) General Awareness and 3) Technical Subjects (Electrical/ Mechanical/ Civil & Structural). Paper 2 is the conventional written exam on the opted technical subject.
In paper 1, candidates appearing for JE civil and JE quantity surveying & contract have to write Part A (civil & structural) of paper I & II. Candidates appearing for JE electrical have to write Part B (electrical) and candidates appearing for JE mechanical have to take Part C (mechanical). The books you can refer are:
- SSC JE General Intelligence & Reasoning General Awareness Guide by GKP
- SSC General Awareness Topic-wise Latest 35 Solved Papers by Disha Experts
- SSC JE: Mechanical Engineering – Topic wise Previous Solved Papers by Made Easy Publications
- SSC – JE 2017 – Mechanical Engineering : CWC / MES Recruitment Examination GK Publications
- SSC JE Civil Engineering 10 Solved Papers & 10 Practice Papers by GKP
- SSC-JE :Civil Engineering Previous Year Solved Papers by ZONE TECH PUBLICATION
- SSC JE Electrical Engineering Guide Paperback by GKP
- JUNIOR ENGINEER (Electrical Engineering) Topic Wise Objective Book ZONE TECH PUBLICATION
For these competitive exams, you need a lot of practice to have leading edge over others. Go for online test series of eAbhyasa portal and you’ll have access to a number of tests. There are many advantages of going for online tests during your preparation. You’ll not only get the real feel of the exam, but also will get feedback that will help you to understand your strengths and weaknesses on which you can work upon. You can even see your previous scores and keep track of your progress. You will get a better understanding of the type of questions and will be able to spend the right amount of time on each section.
You can check for the online tests in the link: https://www.eabhyasa.com/exams
All the best!