If you are aspiring to become a CA, then you have to write the Common Proficiency Test (CPT). This test is for 200 marks and has objective type questions with negative marking. It is conducted in two sessions; each for two hours with a break in between (usually 10:30am – 12:30pm and 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm).
Session–I (2 Sections– 2 hours –100 Marks)
- Section A: Fundamentals of Accounting (60 Marks)
- Section B: Mercantile Laws (40 Marks)
Session–II (2 Sections–2 hours–100 Marks)
- Section C: General Economics (50 Marks)
- Section D: Quantitative Aptitude (50 Marks)
To pass this exam, you need to have good understanding of the fundamentals of accounting, mercantile laws, general economics and quantitative aptitude. You have to score at least 30% in all subjects and 50% in the aggregate of all subjects; so avoid rote method and focus on understanding the concepts.
ICAI provides you with study material as well as sample papers that include both model test papers as well as previous year question papers. But to have leading edge you need to refer good books. Some of the leading books are given here. You can get them online from Amazon or Flipkart, where you’ll also get more information on these books. Refer at least one book for each section.
- Fundamentals of Accounting for CA – CPT by P.C. Tulsian, Bharat Tulsian P C Tulsian Tata McGraw-Hill
- Grewals Accountancy: Common Proficiency Test by M. P. Gupta and B. M. Agarwal
- Fundamentals of Accounting for CA – CPT Paperback by Sripal Jain
- Fundamentals of Accounting (CA CPT) Paperback – 2 Apr 2014 by D.G. Sharma (Author)
- Mercantile Laws for CA-CPT Paperback – Jul 2014 by P.C. Tulsian & Bharat Tulsian McGraw-Hill
- Mercantile Laws: Made Easy Paperback by Ankit Oberoi
- Mercantile Laws for CA – CPT with Multiple Choice Questions – 2014 : With 25 Model Test Papers 1st Edition (English, Paperback, K. P. C. Rao, T. Padma)
- Mercantile Laws (CA CPT) Paperback – 2 Apr 2014 by V.K. Jain (Author)
- General Economics for CA – CPT with Multiple Choice Questions – 2014 : With 25 Model Test Papers 1st Edition (English, Paperback, T. Padma, K. P. C. Rao)
- CPT GENERAL ECONOMICS (English) 4th Edition By S K Aggarwal
- General Economics for CA – CPT Paperback – 2014 by Sripal Jain (Author)
- Padhuka’s Basics of General Economics for CA CPT Paperback – 2017 by G. Sekar & B. Saravana Prasath (Author)
- Common Proficiency Test: Quantitative Aptitude Statistics (Volume – 2) 1st Edition (English, Paperback, P. N. Arora)
- Quantitative Aptitude for CA – CPT with Multiple Choice Questions – 2014 : With 25 Model Test Papers 1st Edition (English, Paperback, K. P. C. Rao, T. Padma)
- Short cut tricks book quicker QA for CA -CPT ,CMA foundation (Kailash Thakur Quicker QA for CA CPT) Paperback – 2014 by Kailash thakur
- Padhuka’ s Practical Guide On Quantitative Aptitude for CA CPT, 8E Paperback – 2017
- Question Bank with Model Test Papers for CA – Common Proficiency Test (CPT) – Accounting, Mercantile Laws, General Economics & Quantitative Aptitude Paperback by R C Bhatt
- CA-CPT Solved Scanner Green Edition Paperback – 2017 by CA Amar Omar (Author), CA Rasika Goenka (Author)
- Tulsian’s Key To Unlock CA-CPT Entrance 1st Edition (English, Paperback, P. C. Tulsian)
- Padhuka’s MCQ Bank for CA CPT (English, Paperback, CA G. Sekar, CA B. Saravana Prasath)
Practice makes one perfect. The more you practice, the more likely you perform well in the exam. The latest trend is to go for online test series. Register yourself in eAbhyasa portal and you will be using the smartest tool for your preparation. You will get access to a number of ‘Subject tests’, ‘Session tests’ and ‘Real tests’. In these tests, you will be exposed to challenging questions that help you to prepare well in a short time. These tests are prepared by highly qualified professionals who have expertise in their domain.
After the test, eAbhyasa gives you feedback which helps you to understand your mistakes, strengths and weaknesses. This helps you to correct your mistakes, better your strengths and optimise your performance. You can check for the online CPT tests in the link: https://www.eabhyasa.com/exams/cpt-exams
All the best!