The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts the Combined Defence Services (CDS) Exam to recruit candidates into the Indian Military Academy, Officers Training Academy, Indian Naval Academy and Indian Air Force Academy. CDS is for graduates. The selection is done in two phases: the written exam and an interview. CDS written exam is conducted twice in a year. The benefits of clearing CDS are listed below.
- Career in defence forces: A career in defence is very exciting. One gets the opportunity to serve the country. As an army officer, expect challenges and travelling throughout the country. You’ll have a disciplined and a tough job. Army officers not only have a good pay scale but also multiple allowances. You’ll have a respectable and secured Job.
- Payment: The officers have good payment. They are given good Pay Scale and Grade Pay as below:
Rank of the Officer Pay Scale (in Rs.)
Lt. to Major 15,600-39,100 (PB-3)
Lt. Col. to Maj Gen. 37,400-67,000(PB-4)
Lt. Gen. HAG Scale 67,000-(annual increment @ 3%)-79.000
HAG Scale* 75,500-(annual increment @ 3%)-80,000
VCO/AS/Army Cdr/Lt. Gen (NFSG) 80,000/- (Fixed)
COAS 90,000/- (Fixed)
Rank of the Officer Grade Pay (in Rs.)
Lieutenant (Lt.) 5,400
Captain (Capt.) 6,100
Major (Maj) 6,600
Lieutenant Colonel (Lt. Col) 8,000
Colonel (Col.) 8,700
Brigadier (Brig) 8,900
Major General (Maj. Gen.) 10,000
- Allowances and leaves: Apart from the above, there will be a number of perks and other benefits such as Dearness Allowance (DA), Maintenance Allowance, Uniform Allowance, Transport Allowance (TA), Children Education Allowance among others. Officers are also given Highly active Field Area Allowance and High Altitude Allowance based on their rank and area of posting. Some are given Siachen Allowance too. You’ll also get a number of casual and annual leaves.
- Stipend during training: You will receive a Fixed Stipend Rs. 21,000/- per month (Rs. 15,600/- as pay in Pay Band plus Grade Pay of Rs. 5,400/-) for the entire duration of training.
- Qualification Pay and Grant: Officers who have certain qualifications get Qualification Grant of Rs. 6,000/-, 9000/-, 15000/- or 20,000/- based on their qualification.
- Opportunities to go abroad: Indian Army officers can go abroad to interact with armies from other countries. An officer can even get opportunities to interact with UN forces, which help in wider perspective.
To get into defence, you need a lot more than just faith. Good Preparation is the right answer. Stay connected with eAbhyasa for updates on CDS exam and exam preparation tips. Use eAbhyasa as a platform to prepare well for the exam and serve the country. All the best!